Sunday, May 3, 2009

My Loss, My Salvation

When the illness hit, it was sudden and hard with no warning. First thinking it was the flu, later finding out it was fibromyalgia with all of its symptoms and pain. A few months later along came the arthritis with the stiff and sometimes swollen painful joints. I had three wonderful sons, a loving husband, a job and a nice home. Life seemed great until my loss came about. As a healthy, active woman of 41 this was hard to swallow. Chronic illness was something I had heard of but never imagined it would happen to me.

I guess you could say I went through the seven stages of grief. First, shock and denial, those results have to be wrong! Not me, I take care of myself and my family. God would not allow this to happen to me. Pain and guilt came next. Not only did it hurt physically from the illness, my heart ached that this was really happening. Guilt flooded in that I should have done things differently before this happened like going on more outings with my children. Taking more time away from work, housework and trivial things and spent more one on one time with everyone. Anger, asking why is God allowing this? I have a family to care for along with this lovely special needs child He has allowed me to be blessed with. Depression, and lonliness came together. Having an invisible illness made it hard for others to understand and believe what I was going through. Friends were lost. I was so sad that this happened. I hurt and could not go out and do the physical things I loved to do like playing basketball with the children or riding bikes. Gardening was also too hard. I felt so lonely. Like nobody understood what I was feeling or going through. Would my husband leave me and would I end up all alone? Would my children go hang out with other friends parents who could do more and keep up? How could I care for my special needs child? Reflection falls into this category also, which I did a lot of. With the tears came the reflecting on my life. What I had done, not done and what I need to do.

The upward turn started from there. I was a christian, yet needed to totally commit myself to God. I could not do anything without Him in my life. I spent a lot of time in prayer and now know through these trials God still has purpose for my life and loves me deeply. He has things He wants me to do in my lifetime for His cause. Reconstruction and working through these difficult times was hard, but God saw me through. I have learned to pace myself so I can still go hunting with my son that likes the outdoors. Take time to stop what I am doing and go out to eat with my oldest son. God blesses me with the energy and strength to care for and spend time with my special needs child. My loving husband has not given up on me. He helps when I need it and loves me for who I am. I have slowed down and learned to appreciate life more, and spend time with God each day learning more about Him and doing as He wants me to do.

I have accepted what I have and have complete hope in God that I will live a full life for Him. He provides the energy and strength to endure the pain and do what needs done. I had felt for quit sometime He wanted me to start writing but did not do it. I have now listened and feel His guidance with my words I use to help others learn from my experiences. I write for His glory. I can do nothing without Him.

"What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ-the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith."

Philippians 3:8,9 Everything that is gained in life is a loss when compared to the greatness of knowing Christ. He takes our sin and shortcomings and exchanges them for His righteousness.

Through my illness God has changed my life for the better and I have salvation through Jesus Christ and know what wonderful things lie ahead for me in the new paradise..

15 comments:

  1. I love the new look Kim!! Yes, keep on writing for His glory! Moment to moment, day to day He guides us. He knows our limitations, and just like you said, He will accomplish His cause in our lives. Amen, sister! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful way to view our illness.... He has a plan for us all.... When we have Christ we have everything we truly need. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, thank you for the comment about the new look, took me a lot of reading and prayer to figure out how to do it and not throw my computer out the window lol :) I will continue writing for His glory! Now that I have started I can't imagine it any other way.
    Blessings to you!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, thank you for your comment. :) He does have a plan for us all, I just found I have to take the time to listen to Him and let Him guide me. Have a blessed day!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kim,
    Awesome awesome one.I love reading these.They keep getting better all the time.I love you so much.Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You wrote: "I have accepted what I have and have complete hope in God that I will live a full life for Him."

    This captures so beautifully the paradox of complete submission and complete hope!

    ~Cyndi
    God Nuggets Blog</a

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim,

    Thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed reading your post. God does definitely give us the strength to do what He wants us to do. Please keep writing!

    Debbie
    http://debbiesdoodlings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you apple for the lovely comment! God bless you! :)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your comment Cyndi, I appreciate you stopping by. I enjoyed your blog :)
    God's blessings,
    Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie,
    Thank you for your encouragement to continue writing. I am new at it but love sharing Gods love and hope with others.
    God bless you,
    Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kim, I am on Christian Twitters and that is how I found your blog. I absolutely love your writings. I love to talk about religion and Jesus Christ. If you would like to stop by and check out my blog I would love to be blogosphere friends. I am home bound so the internet is my life line. God bless.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Life is like a carrot on a string, always before you but just out of reach. This world and what we call life is only a shadow, a foretaste of what is to come. We often loose sight of the fact that all life belongs to Him and is a gift that only Our Lord can give.

    2 Chronicles 7:14 (NIV) if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

    All of us in this land called the world are in need of God’s healing and the help of the Spirit to remind us to be humble. It is a good thing that Our Father is longsuffering and patient with us. He knows our needs and provides for us those precious things that we know not how to ask for. By His grace we are brought to the place of perfect peace that is His alone to supply.

    John 14:27 (NIV) Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

    God has taken what you were to create what you are. The journey is just starting. We will all be blessed with His plan for what you will become. Your heart is calm and fear is behind you. Your writing reflects that peace and shows the depth of your devotion. The path may be narrow but you have found it, and with every footstep the string that holds your life is brought closer. Welcome to my fellowship, I look forward to knowing you as a friend.

    Blessings,
    Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know how that feels Kim, even at the age of 53 it was hard to swallow. I still have such a hrad time and feel so awful when I can't even pick my grandchildren up and give them hugs and kisses. And sometimes it's hard for me to just pray about it, but then I give in, lol! And pray whole heartedly about all of the things I suffer from, not just the fibromyalgia. God bless you sweetheart and I hope you are doing well.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so hear and feel you in this post! Thank God for the strength to get through whatever we are faced with in this temporary reality- won't heaven be awesome?

    ReplyDelete